The area now considered the Allandale neighborhood was originally part of an 1841 land grant to George W. Davis by the President of the Republic of Texas, Mirabeau B Lamar, for his service in the Battle of San Jacinto. Over the years, Davis (and his descendants) sold most of the 3,154 acres he was granted, however a few of his descendants still live in the area and the Davis family cemetery, a Texas Historical Cemetery, can be found within the borders of Allandale. A portion of the land that the Davis family sold ended up being part of Frank Richcreek’s family farm, the Kirchner dairy farm, until a smattering of smaller neighborhoods that were built in the 1930's. This all changed in 1946 when W. Murray Graham, known as the "dean of the Austin real estate profession” started planting the original sections of the Allandale neighborhood, soon followed by Allandale Oaks in 1951.
The Allandale neighborhood boundaries are Burnet Road, Brentwood and Crestview neighborhoods to the East. Mopac Expressway and the Northwest Hillsneighborhood make up the Western Boundary. Hancock Drive and the Rosedale neighborhood border to the South, and to the North, West Anderson Lane North Shoal Creek neighborhood. The neighborhood is bisected by Shoal Creek Blvd and its namesake, the perennial Shoal Creek.