Pemberton Heights is part of the Old West Austin Historic District. The area is bounded by Westover Road on the north, Lamar Boulevard/Shoal Creek on the east, Enfield on the south, and Mopac on the west. It is one of Austin's wealthiest and most historic neighborhoods.
In the late 1800s, what is now the neighborhood of Pemberton Heights in Austin was a farm owned by Attorney General John Woods Harris. The Fisher family inherited the farm and established the Austin Land Company. In 1927, the company built a bridge across Shoal Creek and began developing the area, which was originally outside the Austin city limits. Between 1927 and the early 1940s, Pemberton Heights was developed in 12 sections. In its June 1998 issue, Town & Country magazine named Pemberton Heights as one of the 25 Platinum Addresses in the United States.